Engineering Manager - Validation
Engineering Manager - Validation
Exprience: 5 - 10 years
The Engineering Manager will direct and participate in the planning and execution of Retail Electric Power Solutions (REPS) product validation and testing requirements, while overseeing and coordinating the daily operations of highly skilled engineering staff while ensuring that company objectives and goals are met.
- Recruits, interviews, hires, and trains new engineering staff.
- Oversees the daily workflow of the department.
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations.
- Guide and facilitate the development of a work group that conducts validation and testing of prototype gensets and solutions for REPS.
- Provide managerial and technical direction with respect to product testing and validation.
- Reviews work and projects for technical accuracy.
- Maintains knowledge of new trends, developments, technologies, materials, and best practices; applies this knowledge to continually improve process on product testing and validation to improve efficiency.
- Facilitates communication among suppliers/customers and engineers, ensuring specifications, budgets, and deadlines are clearly communicated and understood.
- Mentor and coach the team to develop collaborative relationships among themselves, as well as with customers, suppliers and other functional groups to ensure goals are achieved.
- Establishes, implements, and maintains administrative policies, procedures, and standards
- Will create and maintain an organizational climate / culture which encourages innovation, collaboration, excitement / commitment and a sense of urgency towards business success.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Key areas of responsibility encountered in this role may include any or all the following:
- Collaborate with Lead Engineers and Component teams to define product test matrix for REPS NPI, Assurance of Supply (AoS) and Material Cost Reduction activities.
- Define validation plans and complete all activities per plan
- Planning and execution of validation activities to maximise the utilization of test resources
- Direct prototype / test build and communicate build issues with the design teams
- Direct genset validation testing as per required ISO, CE, UL, CSA or other applicable standards
- Collaborate with Engine teams, Component Engineers, and other Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to troubleshoot and resolve issues as applicable
- Communicate regularly on the Validation progress to stakeholders, team members, and other business units
Success factors/Job Competencies:
- People management and team empowerment
- Effective Communication
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Flexible thinking, including the ability to pivot try new approaches when faced with challenges.
- Ability to work on multiple projects in various stages simultaneously.
- Expert-level knowledge of sector technology and process. ( Previous testing and validation experience especially on Diesel / Gas engines and gensets would be an added advantage.)
- Experience with validation of Engines, Gensets or Machines.
- Thorough understanding of validation requirements - Noise, Vibration, Cooling, Electrical
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor s degree in Engineering required; Master s degree preferred.
- At least twelve(12) years of related experience required.
- Six Sigma Blackbelt is a plus
Industry Type: Oil & Gas
Employment Type: Full Time, Permanent
Role Category: Other
UG: B.Tech/B.E. in Production/Industrial, Any Graduate
PG: Any Postgraduate
(i) Six sigma black belt
Solar Turbines Incorporated, a wholly owned subsidiary of Caterpillar Inc., designs and manufactures industrial gas turbines for onshore and offshore electrical power generation, for marine propulsion and for producing, processing and transporting natural gas and oil.